Boating Information for Buzzards Bay
Related Pages: Oil Spill Response
In 2000, all of Buzzards Bay was designated a boat waste No Discharge Area. Go to our boat waste pump-out page to see where you can pump-out your marine toilet (head).
Tips for Environmentally Safe Boating
- Do not top off fuel tanks.
- Do report spills.
- Place an oil absorbing “bilge sock” in your bilge compartment. Use the type that polymerizes with the hydrocarbons.
- Check with marina operator as to what kinds of vessel maintenance are allowed.
- Only use “green” cleansers on your boat to minimize damage of them spilling into the water
- Do not scrape or sand your boat near the water, in a wetland, or in a parking lot where stormwater runoff will wash paint chips into surface waters.
- Buzzards Bay is a no discharge area. Use holding tank pumpout stations.
- Use shore-side trash cans
- Dispose of waste oil, batteries, paints and cleansers at your towns hazardous materials collection stations, not in a public dumpster or barrel.
U.S. Coast Guard Station: Cape Cod Canal, Sandwich, MA 508-888-0020
U.S. Coast Guard Station: Woods Hole, MA 508-457-3253
Search & Rescue Emergencies: Cape & Islands – 457-3210
The Coast Guard Monitors Channel 16 (2182 kHz) & Channel 22 (157.1 MHz),
Call the Coast Guard on Channels 12 & 22
Links to Boating and the Environment
- Environmental Boating Tips from the American Boating Association
- Fast Facts about Vessel Maintenance Pollution
Boat Safety Information
- Massachusetts Department of Environmental Management Boat Safety Course Schedule
- USCG Auxiliary Flotilla 65, 1NR, (New Bedford/Fairhaven, MA)
- Coast Guard Auxiliary National Web site (CGAUXWEB)
- United States Coast Guard Home Page
- United States Coast Guard Office of Boating Safety Web Site
- US Power Squadron
- USCG/MSO ProvidenceOf interest: US Army Corps of Engineers, Cape Cod Canal Field Office, Buzzard’s Bay, MA (508) 759-4431call (508) 759-5991 for prerecorded TIDE and WEATHER Information.>
Massachusetts Boating and Recreational Vehicle Laws
Register Your Massachusetts Boat Online!
Also gives location of boat registration regional offices.
Research and Look-up Data on a Boat or Vessel
Articles & Reports
MCZM newsletter article: Better Boating through Environmental Engines
Read the Buzzards Bay NEP’s May 2000 Report on BILGE SOCKS FOR BOATS
(This is a 435K PDF file and requires Acrobat Reader[TM])
BBP funds municipal oil spill training.
NBST article 7/23/00: Oil Spills in Buzzards Bay: Preparing for the worst
NOAA National Data Buoy Center BUZM3 station data – Buzzards Bay, MA
Near real time wave, current, and other data.